Hey- from Utah, new to club and forum...

2WR1847_Rob

Been into CBs since 2009 when I started driving truck. Always had stock Cobras or Unidens. (Turned 'em up a little myself and tuned the antennas with my own SWR meter...)

Sometime in 2019 started on a quest to find reliable emergency radio comms with my daughter in Massachusetts. I thought the logical place to start was HAM, so got my technician license (KJ7OXL) and bought a couple cheap handhelds with magnetic antennas. Fooled around with those for a couple years, programming local repeaters in and doing 'homework' the whole time. Concluded that if this emergency radio comms were going to be HAM that I would need a base and a huge antenna. I wanted our comms to be mobile, so I started looking at it a little differently, and got onto skip. Just about that time I retired, and got myself a 'big' radio, Connex, peaked and tuned, and started talking skip for real. Bought my daughter the same radio and we tried. She heard me several times, but I was only able to hear her once. So we knew we were on the right track, just needed to keep going. Then I discovered SSB, and all the homework that went with it. We ended up with twin Anytone quad 6s. I've had mine installed and cranking for a couple months now and LOVE it. Hers is not installed in her new truck yet, but very soon now. Then we'll give it another try.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Glad to be a part of the World Radio Club. A big THANK YOU to all you COURTEOUS operators out there for having some common sense and respect for your fellow operators.

73s

-World Radio 801 Northern Utah

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great welcomes! This has been the friendliest group I have ever joined!

James- I'll probly remember your callsign 'cuz that's the year I was born. Dee, thank you. Steve, looks like you have a great shack there! Thank you.

I do have a coupla questions if anyone has time- 1) How did you all come up with your "WR" 11-meter call signs, or were they given to you by the club?  2) What is the significance of the number in front of the WR? 3) Do you say the 'prefix' number when you're on the air, or do you just start with "World Radio" and then give the numbers following?

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, 801 Northern Utah said:

Thank you all for the great welcomes! This has been the friendliest group I have ever joined!

James- I'll probly remember your callsign 'cuz that's the year I was born. Dee, thank you. Steve, looks like you have a great shack there! Thank you.

I do have a coupla questions if anyone has time- 1) How did you all come up with your "WR" 11-meter call signs, or were they given to you by the club?  2) What is the significance of the number in front of the WR? 3) Do you say the 'prefix' number when you're on the air, or do you just start with "World Radio" and then give the numbers following?

Thanks.

The above link should explain the process of getting your World Radio number, any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

The number before the WR is a DX designator, 2=USA, 9=Canada, etc. It is used whenever an operator is speaking with another country.

I hope this answers your questions, and good luck on those two contacts! Don't forget to let the Admin/Moderator know you want an official contact for getting your WR number when you get in contact with them. 73

• Like 2

Thank you, Steve!  Copied, pasted, and printed the admin/moderator list. Checked the U.S. division numbers list and came up with a number that is not on there. Will proceed to try to make contact with 2 admin/moderators. I appreciate your help and patience!

• Like 3

Very good Rob, it is my pleasure, and good luck! Remember, you can contact any WR Admin/Moderator in the world to get your contacts, not just your division.

27.395 and 27.425 are good places to start, Happy Hunting!

Again, any questions, feel free to ask.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 12:06 PM, 801 Northern Utah said:

Thanks for the welcome! I'll be out there. Up one band, channels 1, 2, and 3...  Southeast Texas. Near Houston?

About 10 miles north of Galveston

Awesome. Love Texas. Used to criss-cross it all the time when I was driving truck. Would leave I-40 EB at Santa Rosa, take U.S.84 on down to TX36 on down to I-290 to Houston. Loved that drive. I'll keep a listen out for ya on the air. 73

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome! Hope to make contact with you one of these days. I'm on almost every morning for an hour or so. Sun comes up over the mountains around 8. Skip starts coming in between 8:30 and 9. That would be 11 your time.

Looks like good warmer weather for you this weekend. Hopefully we'll get my daughter's radio installed and tuned this weekend. Looking forward to trying to contact her!

Keep 'er safe out there and 73s.

-Rob

801 Northern Utah

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome, Jon. Sorry so late responding. Been off a coupla days, wife had knee surgery. Hope to hear you on the air. 73s.

2 minutes ago, 801 Northern Utah said:

Thank you Steve! Any idea how I can get my username changed from 801 Northern Utah to 2WR1847 Rob?

A Forum Admin has to change it for you, one of them will change it the next time they get on here.