Howdy from Texas!

WR4090

Hello everyone. Just wanted to take a little time and introduce myself to you all. My name is Allen and I'm in SE Texas just about 10 miles north of Galveston Island. I've been a member since February of 23. 

I started in radio back in the mid 70's as a young teen. Dad got his first cb for his truck and I was always out there talking to friends. As most teens do, I slacked off of doing chores so I could talk on the radio and ended up getting grounded from the radio for a pretty good while. Eventually I was able to get back on and start having fun again. 

Life took over and I got away from radios doing life. I had a few radios over the years but never was in it as I was when I was younger. Back in 2022 I was talking to a friend in Florida about radios and decided to get back in the game. I purchased a Ranger RCI2970N4 and an Antron 99 along with a 35 foot pole. Wasn't long and I was back on the air making contacts across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Scotland, Europe and even in Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania. It didn't take long for me to figure out I wanted more and better stuff so I started checking out youtube videos on different kinds of radios and equipment. 

Next upgrade was to get a tower and bigger antenna. Got a 40 foot tower and a Maco Shooting Star. Had lots of fun building all of that stuff. Finally got everything done and found I was getting better signals in and out. I was happy for a little while but wanted to go bigger and better (I'm sick, I know). 

I wasn't satisfied with the audio on the Ranger so I started looking into other radio options. I settled on the Yaesu FTDX10. Wow! What a radio! Didn't take me long to figure out I needed more power so the next step was a nice little box. Ended up getting a Boulder Built by 757. A big learning curve with that little jewel. Still learning today. Tim the tool man was starting to come out in me and I started looking at larger antennas. If it's bigger it has to be better, right? Pulled the trigger on a Lightning L8 Quad. I thought the Shooting Star was a tough build. That L8 kicked my butt but I finally got back on the air. Very impressed so far. 

Still learning. Still tinkering and still looking. CB really is an acronym...Constantly Buying. Anyway, glad you took a little time out to read my story. Hope to hear you out there. I'm usually hanging around 27.365 thru 27.585 but I also have my local buddies on the AM band. If you hear me out there hollar at me! 

73's from WR4090 in SE Texas

• Like 5

Hey Allen.

Welcome to the forum and all.

Good story (Even though i herd it all in the chat on the phone we had today) lol

Sound's like your doing ok there and i'm hearing you alot here in Colorado. and congrad's on getting into some action in doing cb radio round up check in's as well. 

Hang in there and call anytime ya want to Bro.

73 from 2WR/NB267 Scott 

• Like 2

Welcome back to the hobbie!  My story very close to yours, I paused (sold everything) in the 70's, marriage, job, you know.  Been back about 5 years now, really like learning all the new stuff.  Hope to talk with you on the air!  73's  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...