greetings from Iowa, looking to get hooked back up with a group

Nathan

I've been on the radio for several decades.  There used to be an amazing CB community here in town, but of course cell phones have mostly ruined that.  I can still remember the good ol days where I could hop in the car and go 10-8 and have several friends to chat with on the way to work or school.  Now the local air is pretty dead.

I've still got my penetrator 500 up and have been looking around on the band.  TransAmerica, WWCBS, and IWB used to be pretty active but it looks like they've completely disappeared, nobody I've spoken to remembers them.  I hear World Radio / Needle Benders all the time all around the band nowadays though and would like to pick up where I left of if possible.

I've spoken with Amanda (2WR933) on 1/8/23 and I thought she set me up with 1WR508 but I don't see myself in the list. (though 508 isn't currently taken in the list)  I thought she said I need to check in again to complete my registration.  She said I could check in again even with her to finish, and I just caught her again on another frequency today 3/5 so I don't know if there's anything more I need to do, or how long I have to wait.  I don't know where the regular check-ins are - my first contact was on 385 but my second contact was on a higher frequency so probably a different check-in/net.

I just spoke with her again now and I guess she's no longer with WR and is strictly NeedleBender, and those are not associated as I thought they were.  So I don't know where I stand or what I need to do now. (is there some kind of a rivalry between WR/NB?)

• Like 1

Welcome to the group, You are on the pending list as 2WR508 and need one more contact with a mod or admin to obtain you membership.

This link gives a list of members you can contact for your second.

Edited by 2WR2144_Mike

7 hours ago, Nathan said:

I've been on the radio for several decades.  There used to be an amazing CB community here in town, but of course cell phones have mostly ruined that.  I can still remember the good ol days where I could hop in the car and go 10-8 and have several friends to chat with on the way to work or school.  Now the local air is pretty dead.

I've still got my penetrator 500 up and have been looking around on the band.  TransAmerica, WWCBS, and IWB used to be pretty active but it looks like they've completely disappeared, nobody I've spoken to remembers them.  I hear World Radio / Needle Benders all the time all around the band nowadays though and would like to pick up where I left of if possible.

I've spoken with Amanda (2WR933) on 1/8/23 and I thought she set me up with 1WR508 but I don't see myself in the list. (though 508 isn't currently taken in the list)  I thought she said I need to check in again to complete my registration.  She said I could check in again even with her to finish, and I just caught her again on another frequency today 3/5 so I don't know if there's anything more I need to do, or how long I have to wait.  I don't know where the regular check-ins are - my first contact was on 385 but my second contact was on a higher frequency so probably a different check-in/net.

I just spoke with her again now and I guess she's no longer with WR and is strictly NeedleBender, and those are not associated as I thought they were.  So I don't know where I stand or what I need to do now. (is there some kind of a rivalry between WR/NB?)

The clubs are sisters but different Administrations, rules for membership and such.  Your 1st contact stands, so you just need a second.  Keep a list of all the admin/mods handy, a little patience, and you will succeed.   

On 3/6/2023 at 11:08 AM, Jon h said:

Well Nathan it looks like they gave you the second contact. Great job. 
i’m still trying for my 1st contact. 

thanks!  11m is a different place than it was in the 90's, that's for sure.  Is 38LSB the home frequency for NB?  And are there regular check-ins?  Forgive me if this information is posted somewhere here, I've looked around a bit but I'm not very familiar with the website yet.  I found the history thread but haven't seen anything that looks like an FAQ.

Edited by Nathan

10 hours ago, Nathan said:

thanks!  11m is a different place than it was in the 90's, that's for sure.  Is 38LSB the home frequency for NB?  And are there regular check-ins?  Forgive me if this information is posted somewhere here, I've looked around a bit but I'm not very familiar with the website yet.  I found the history thread but haven't seen anything that looks like an FAQ.

NB uses most any but 38 and 39 are common.  

• 2 weeks later...