Howdie from the West Coast!

Triple 3

Hi everyone!

I entered into the exciting adventure of CB radio in the 1970's.  We had a 200 ft. redwood tree in our front yard about 12 ft. from our front door.  I had contests who could climb the tree to the top the fastest [I do NOT recommend you follow our poor example].  I installed an 11 meter ground plane on top of this redwood tree attached to my TRC-457.  On quiet nights, we could talk from Lake Tahoe to Monterey and many cities in-between.  During summer months New Zealand and Australian sheep shepherds would coming boom in 20+ even though they only had 1.5 watt walkie-talkies.  No wonder, the mean sun spot average during the 1979 peak was 264 sun spots per month.  Oh, we also installed a Avanti PDL-2, so that helped too!

For my mobile back then I used an SBE Sidewinder SSB radio with a 300 watt foot warmer and a K-40 antenna on top of a 1968 Volkswagen Beetle.

Presently I live in the central valley part of California.   Unfortunately, we were not able to bring the 200 ft. redwood tree with us...😂 

Now we are looking to move to Idaho where I hope to build our dream ranch and build a dream radio station too. 

Skip and propagation is moving toward a new peak in 2022.  I have experienced some wild skip all within a 24 hour period: Alaska, Hawaii, Texas, Japan, Panama, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a host of upper northern states.  I am hoping the next two years [2023-24] will be as wild as the 1970's.

73's and God bless to all!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...