2WR256

Moved my G5RV..

2WR256    38

Good morning all, before I moved this dipole it was hanging on a mountain side between 2 tree's and the ladder line was dragging the ground and ended up just hanging the last couple feet over a bush to keep it off the ground, and ran it like this for a year or so, and with a 100 watt radio have worked all 50 states, and several countries as well....

Now,  we moved this dipole up in a tall pine tree, which the center connector now is roughly about 60-65' high, and where the ladder line/coax meets it is roughly around 30'-35' off the ground...where the ladder line/coax meets, I went up about 2' and slipped a piece of styrofoam over the ladder line and put the coax inside it as well and taped it above and below so it wouldn't slide down on the ladderline, made somewhat of a 2' loop just to try and keep the stress off the PL connector area, hoping the weight and wind don't damage it ...after all this all is on the side of a mountain and out in the open for the wind .....

The legs, well the upper end runs across the land and is pretty high, the insulator looks to be 40' or so off the ground....

The other leg, as it comes out from the tree, I lost all the height due to the way the land levels out, so it is roughly 12-15' off the ground, in which we plan on raising it up in a tree soon,....even tho this end is lower to the ground, it tunes 10-80m bands, just haven't had much time to try it out and see how it's doing........

• Like 3

2WR256    38

I am using LMR 400UF coax on this dipole, and have a 120' run down the hill to the shack, and I didn't use any balun or coax choke on it, and no problems in shack with RF or anything, all good here....

• Like 3

2WR256    38

Oh man, will see what I can do, I tried to get pics of it a few times and haven't been able to see the LL as it goes up the front side of the tree limbs....

The coax, as it comes down the tree you can see it, instead of coming straight down the tree I kinda went down the side of the tree a little, just trying to keep the winds from blowing it around......this is the 1st time doing this, still learning as I go...

I did see the center insulator today, from across the road, it is at the bottom of a tree limb, 4-6 limbs from the top of this pine tree........the lower leg is in the tree's on this end, tree's are thick down here too, will have to raise it up when we get some free time to work on it some more, planning on hanging a bucket with holes in the bottom and some rocks in it, so the rope on the back side coming from the top to the bottom where I have it tied off, hoping to allow the dipole to move a little with the winds, not sure if this is a good thing or not......have seen some others do this...

My dipole, kinda blends in with the tree, and the limbs as it goes up the tree, it is shady up there too, and all I have is Iphone, will try and get another camera and see if I can get some pics of it tho...

So far, from what I can tell seems to be doing pretty well, this past weekend there was a contest going on, worked all the states up and down the west coast, and several states I hardly ever heard like Idaho, Wy, Utah, NH, Maine.....Saturday morning I listened to a guy over in Russia for a hour or so, but never made that trip to him, but was getting a 55 signal report on him......I really don't have anything to compare my moving it too, so makes this fun trying it out......about all I can do is try it out to the NE and E directions......rest of the states, except for Alaska, has been easy to work from here...it does tune great from 10-80m bands, autotuner don't have to work to hard doing this...

Edited by 2WR256
  • Like 3

2WR256    38

One thing I did do awhile back the 1st time I hung this dipole up, I know what end the center wire is on, and the shield is on...

My Elmer told me how to check this and he says to point the center wire into the north, which is pretty much where it is......

For the dipole to work better than it did b4 I moved it, it will be a tall order to do......

So far, it has done pretty good, in the states, still nothing into the NE, does really well into the S and SE still...

I'm sure there are better dipoles, or antennas out there that talks better than a G5RV, but from what I've seen this do on 20m has been sweet, I spend most of my time on the 20m band....

2WR256    38

Hello guys, didn't get any pictures of my G5RV, after a storm came through here and tore it down, think I'm going to go a head and replace it with something else.....have had problems keeping the ladder line off the ground, due to not getting enough height .........so looking at someother dipole..

Steve8407    0
  • We have had high winds also in the uk , wind took out my dipole put up a BB3KA from WILSON CREEK ANTENNA S works really well ,and well built  , stevel8407
Edited by Steve8407

2WR256    38

I may go to a end fed antenna from My Antennas....already been doing research on there EFHW-8010-1k antenna, and so far all the reviews, ect I found on it, all has been good....maybe a good idea to do, since I just have 2 supports to use here....