2WR2811 Eli

WorldRadio2811 Silent Key

Not a newbie but thought I would Fire off this topic.

I was born in the early 70's with a radio on the desk when I showed up, I haven't known life without one. My handle was Bam Bam when I was kid till my brother changed it to SnakeDude. Started using the number 811 so long ago I can't remember, but their were too many 811's out there so sometime in the 80's I changed it to 2811.

I started The World Radio Club in 1994 about the same time a club with the same name same name went defunct. It wasn't very long and I had a list with over 40 names on it doing Check-ins on Sundays from my Cobra 138. 

I took a short break from radio and bounced between rental homes for a couple years till I purchased this house in 2002, and set up a good station. I soon after met Dandeelion (Stephanie 2WR2754) and Rick 2WR2800. Rick got his Dad (Rich 2WR149) into radio and the four of us took the club to the next level. Soon after we got all of the locals into the club like Darryle 2WR954, Ed 2WR27, and many more. With the help of these operators and many more we were able to lift the club up to a level none of us expected.

The club is always evolving, folks come in and folks go, but we always do our best to be the best radio operators on 11m. It is the members and the staff of TWRC that help keep it the elite club it is today.

So now back to me, I get to take it easy a little bit more often now days knowing that the club is in great hands with our Admin and Mods. So listen up for me or give me a shout on Channel 38 or 39 because more then likely I am there.

Eli
2WR2811

• Like 10

I got hooked at 12-13 years old when a friend of mine brought a 12 v  battery & a mobil cb & a small mirror clip antenna camping with us. When I was 15 or so i got  a johnson messenger 250 & a base antenna and quickly found out i was in a dead zone but i was good talking to locals for years till the late 70's when i found sideband. Been at it since.

Took a  break from 2006 till 2014 when I moved from that dead zone to this dead zone 8 miles away But not as bad as it was there in Norton.

Then only one local named Tim ' on ssb since that and he started looking for a guy named Eli in Cal after he found Mitch 169 in a chatroom. he wanted a WR number & got it quick from Eli or an admin in 43 div.

Then I came to TWRC chatroom where Tim  WR40 was chattn with WR members and I found out fast, Dont carry on like a nut with Mitch n Jean, they silence you, they kick you, and they call you stupid and 'lol' at you till you are either broke in or go away. but I had never been in any chatroom before.

Soon  after I was led to 395 by Tim, WR40' where he was qsoing with  Eli  & Tim ask to me make a contact for a WR number & thats when I knew I had to be a somebody on the air instead of a clown.

Anyway, The hobby changed then.  It's more fun than I ever expected being a WR member

Edited by 2WR1303_Chuck
  • Like 9

I started out on the CB radio back in 1978 or so, wow its been a long time ago, my mom bought me a radio, she thought if I got interested in it, I wouldn't want to get out and get into trouble during my teenage years and yes it did work like she wanted it too...( started out when I was 15 )......so, my 1st radio was a Midland 13-879B ol 23 channel, and a old cb antenna which was called a Jam Ram, and I used this for a long time, after I started working I went to a better setup...in the early 80's I went to a T-Berry Stalker 15, and a Firebird 500 amplifier and a ol Super Penetrator antenna, ran this combo a few months, then went to a Maverick 250 amp, and of course ran this about 5 years, then sold that stuff and got into a Cobra 2000 and a JB 12 modulator, and a Phantom 500, ran a Maco 3 element beam for awhile and sold that and bought a PDL 2....ran this for another 5 years and sold out when I got married and moved out on my own.....

I didn't fool with the radio for close to 5 years, by this time I was working around the coal mines here and that's when I got into it heavy, started out with a Magnum S9 in the truck, and ran a TNT 600HD and a Predator 10K mounted on the back side of a toolbox, used this for 8 years or so, and for a base I went Cobra 2000 and ran a couple XF amps, and a old Imax 2k back on the mountain, and a couple years later I bought me a new 2995dx, thats when I also got my Technician Class lic's and started talking dx on the 10m band...today, I hold a General class lic's and run a Yaesu FT 450d and a G5RV dipole hung on the mountain side between 2 pine tree's and not running a amp, just the 100 watts the radio does, and have been enjoying working the dx all over the world on a 100 watts and a piece of wire...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 1:51 PM, 2WR1303_Chuck said:

You guys have done a great job with this club, making a lot of members feel at home here in the forum and on the air.

Gotta agree with you there, Chuck. One big happy DX family with lotsa great folks.

• Like 4

I was hooked on radio and DX back in the 70's.  Spent all my hobby money at Radio Shack.  I was away from the radio for many years, spending my time playing with computers.  About 2009 I was cleaning out a closet and came across my forgotten radio equipment.  I decided to search the internet to see if the vintage CBs had any value.  I was surprised at all the hobby material that was online.  I hooked up a CB, threw a wire over the tree in the backyard.  I made contact with WR2811 that afternoon.  Later that same day searching the internet I came across a chat room where Eli and I recognized we had made radio contact earlier in the day.  I joined the club and have had a blast.  I feel privileged to be part of something special.    

• Like 7

On 10/12/2016 at 5:37 PM, 2WR1303_Chuck said:

I got hooked at 12-13 years old when a friend of mine brought a 12 v  battery & a mobil cb & a small mirror clip antenna camping with us. When I was 15 or so i got  a johnson messenger 250 & a base antenna and quickly found out i was in a dead zone but i was good talking to locals for years till the late 70's when i found sideband. Been at it since.

Took a  break from 2006 till 2014 when I moved from that dead zone to this dead zone 8 miles away But not as bad as it was there in Norton.

Then only one local named Tim ' on ssb since that and he started looking for a guy named Eli in Cal after he found Mitch 169 in a chatroom. he wanted a WR number & got it quick from Eli or an admin in 43 div.

Then I came to TWRC chatroom where Tim  WR40 was chattn with WR members and I found out fast, Dont carry on like a nut with Mitch n Jean, they silence you, they kick you, and they call you stupid and 'lol' at you till you are either broke in or go away. but I had never been in any chatroom before.

Soon  after I was led to 395 by Tim, WR40' where he was qsoing with  Eli  & Tim ask to me make a contact for a WR number & thats when I knew I had to be a somebody on the air instead of a clown.

Anyway, The hobby changed then.  It's more fun than I ever expected being a WR member

I have NEVER called anyone stupid...must have been Mitch bwahahaha.....but i do my share of "making fun"...thats your initiation 

• Like 2

will never forget when you 1st silenced me, i had never been in a chat b4 , i was having computer trouble 'I thought' Till Mitch told me. After that i knew the silence is deadlier than being kicked, So humiliating loo00ool

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, Again!!
Guess we all need to re-introduce ourselves after the snafu.

I've been on the radio since 1978. Started talking on my stepdad's mobile, which he gave me for Christmas later. Stock Cobra 25GTL, Francis CB50 Amazer.

Joined the original World Radio Club as WR3143, back in late 80s when we paid dues to be members. There are about 50 QSL cards of mine floating around somewhere.

My first DX contact was a station in New South Wales, Australia. I had just moved to Atascadero, CA and got a new base station. President Lincoln, power supply, 30' pushup and an Antron 99, all brand new on the market. My boss, Bud, ( "Car Crusher" if any of the old timers remember him) gave me an 80' crank-up tower and a hygain Duo stack 3 beam. two 3 element vertical beams stacked horizontally.

Anyway, I've come a long way and gone through many radios since. I run a base and 2 mobiles. You'll find me on 38LSB usually in my "big truck" in north central Oregon.

73's

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WR3143 said:

Hello, Again!!
Guess we all need to re-introduce ourselves after the snafu.

I've been on the radio since 1978. Started talking on my stepdad's mobile, which he gave me for Christmas later. Stock Cobra 25GTL, Francis CB50 Amazer.

Joined the original World Radio Club as WR3143, back in late 80s when we paid dues to be members. There are about 50 QSL cards of mine floating around somewhere.

My first DX contact was a station in New South Wales, Australia. I had just moved to Atascadero, CA and got a new base station. President Lincoln, power supply, 30' pushup and an Antron 99, all brand new on the market. My boss, Bud, ( "Car Crusher" if any of the old timers remember him) gave me an 80' crank-up tower and a hygain Duo stack 3 beam. two 3 element vertical beams stacked horizontally.

Anyway, I've come a long way and gone through many radios since. I run a base and 2 mobiles. You'll find me on 38LSB usually in my "big truck" in north central Oregon.

73's

And I see I lost my post count and am back to Mudduck status... niiiice... LOL

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Wr805 back on the forum !!!!!hello to all ,old friends and new have a good one !

still the craziest station in the Canadian nation !!:banana:

still love the dancing banana!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...